De Amerikaanse presidentsverkiezingen 2004

Nog tot de presidentsverkiezingen van 2008


Home
About this weblog
Bronnen
Mail mij
Atom
This gif is freely copyable. Just right click, save Powered by
RSSify at WCC

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

zondag, december 28, 2003
Dean: "Als ik journalist was" en andere zaken
Howard Dean werd geïnterviewd door Newsweek. Op de vraag hoe hij als hij journalist was over de verkiezingen zou schrijven zei hij het volgende:
“I would try something new if I were a journalist. I think a lot of journalism is gotcha — can you find something that I said in 1985 that contradicts a position now. A lot of it is Senator So-and-So said something about Senator So-and-So and there is a lot of back and forth. You know that doesn't really contribute much to the debate. It is entertaining, but it's not very serious. The things that I would like write about if I were a reporter is policy differences. Go into the policy. First of all, ask the tough questions about policy. How are they really going to finance this? Get everybody's health-care plan side-by-side and find out what it costs from an analyst and that is an interesting story. Here is a story I would like to do if I were a reporter. I would like to take everybody's proposals for spending money and add them up and see how big the deficit is going to be by the Democrats who are running against the president and see how do they plan to pay for it. That would be a very interesting thing to do and I think people would be impressed. Ok, Senator So-and-So has 14 billion dollars worth of spending here and 106 billion dollars there. Let's see what Senator So-and-So has on the tax revenue side. Those are the kinds of things that don't get done in journalism that should that require some resources and investigative capacity. Instead, what often gets done is General Clark said this and Howard Dean said that, John Kerry said this about each other. It is not very informative.”

Mijn idee.

En over zijn beleidsplannen zegt Dean:

“The plan I enjoy the most is health care because I know a lot about it. I am a doctor and governor and we have done a lot on it. So I know the details and it is very fun for me to talk to audiences about it because I know the details although I can get kind of policy-wonkish because it is an area I know a lot about. I like everything. I love policy. I like education, I like jobs, I love foreign policy. I know all the other candidates are saying he doesn't have any foreign policy experience. The truth is I have as much as Bill Clinton did and Ronald Reagan did and Jimmy Carter. So, I spend a lot of time on foreign policy. I read about it. I talk to people about it all the time. I have been to 50 countries. So I like foreign policy a lot.”




© Marc van Gestel 2003 - 2004