De Amerikaanse presidentsverkiezingen 2004

Nog tot de presidentsverkiezingen van 2008


Home
About this weblog
Bronnen
Mail mij
Atom
This gif is freely copyable. Just right click, save Powered by
RSSify at WCC

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

dinsdag, mei 11, 2004
Um...Hallo!
My name is Mark Oehlert and Marc van Gestel (the Editor of POTUS 2004) seems to be taking a bit of a holiday. Marc and I met when we were in graduate school in the U.S. at American University. We are both historians then, Marc more of the political type and me more of the military/technological/anthropological/cultural type (I can't seem to focus). Anyway, I live in Washington, DC, and I blog, so Marc thought I might be able to offer some insights into the U.S. presidential race in 2004.

I should tell you that I grew up learning about politics by reading Doonesbury, I think that one of the best sources of U.S. political commentary right now is The Daily Show (and Air America) and that for amazingly funny (and often obscene) political humor, there is no better place than The Onion. So what do I want to talk about....hmmm.

I want to start off by mixing two very flamable ingredients - politics and religion. I get very tired of the political right in America acting like God is so obviously on their side. The not-so-subtle implication being that democrats are somehow less religious than republicans. Ridiculous. Then I find this magazine named Sojourners. A few issues back they had a whole issue dedicated to how theology can and should impact politics. A commentary asked people of faith to remember Bush's record of disastrous environmental policy as they went to vote. Another article reminds us that we are not owners of the earth but merely stewards, caretakers if you will. Yet another article takes the religious right to task for mis-appropriating the Genesis story which is so often cited by the right as giving man dominion over all things on the earth.

These articles are deeply interesting to me since they seem to re-assert a way in which religious liberals (a group I count myself in) can stand up to bible-thumping republicans and call them to task for the way they have conducted themselves. Good reading and I hope to see you around the blog.

--Mark Oehlert, Guest Poster




© Marc van Gestel 2003 - 2004